Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Final Project: 15 Self Portraits

I didn't really have an underlying theme, just some ideas that I wanted to try. Although I did want all of my portraits facing a certain way. The idea I wanted to play around with was taking the most basic position for a self portrait and tweaking it in some way. They were all self portraits in the most basic sense however they each had their own character. I also just added some that weren't in that basic position for some variety.



A watercolor of a lamb carcass. This was inspired by an artist who painted a lot of carcasses, his statement was that underneath it all we're just walking sacks of meat.

A charcoal portrait done on the back of a shoebox that I unraveled. I liked the shape that the cardboard made.

A collage of some trash I had sitting around. This is basically my diet and I was going with the old saying, "you are what you eat".


A self-portrait done in chalk pastel. The paper that I drew on was my 15 page research paper that I stapled together in no particular order. That paper took up a good portion of my life and it made my semester terrible so I took out my frustration on it by scratching into it a self-portrait (I didn't want to break the paper but in some places there are tears where I got a little too excited).


This is a portrait of a portrait of a portrait of a portrait of a self-portrait. It's just something I wanted to do, I wanted to see where I would end up after so much copying. The original self-portrait is after this one.


This was the original self-portrait that I made those copies out of.


Here is one of the in-between portraits, this one and the other two after it have quick charcoal sketches of animal faces done over the pencil drawing. This one is a locust. All three charcoal sketch portraits represent an animal that I hate.


This one represents owls, more specifically snow owls. Their faces really creep me out but lately I've had a strange attraction to the shape its eyes make. A sort of "V" shape with winged edges.


This one represents sloths. I really don't like sloths.


No comments:

Post a Comment