Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Final Project

For this final, I drew most of my pictures with charcoal and pencil because it is a drawing final. But more so because I found the inspiration to draw again while I was working on this project. I felt that this year, my love for drawing has slowly withered away; I felt like giving up on drawing and just paint for the next few years. But, the challenge in drawing myself, animals and objects and mostly how they turned out helped inspire me to keep on drawing and improve on my skills. I realized that there is so much for me to learn about drawing.



When I was drawing this self-portrait, I thought that this was the best drawing of myself that I have ever done. But now, I feel like it is scaring me a lot. Nevertheless, I feel that from this portrait and on, I will get closer to my goal of drawing people really well.













Since I had three studio class these past two semesters, I couldn't wear any "nice" clothes. I found myself always wearing a girl's t-shirt and a jacket. My clothes are mostly all blue because that's my favorite color. But also because I found that with similar color clothes, I don't have to spend time figuring out which clothes match and which I can wear in the morning. I'll just pick one from my drawers at random and my outfit is set.










I didn't know where to put my hands since I had them to the right of my body when I hung my pictures up. My hands are very important to me especially since I do all my artworks with them. I have always felt bad since my hands are so big despite my short height. But I realized that I can hold onto many pencils, paintbrushes and other things more than some other people my height. So, I guess in a way, I am thankful of my big hands.




I drew my legs because I realized that since around sophomore year of highschool, I started to wear jeans. I used to never wear jeans when I was growing up because they felt uncomfortable to me. But now, they are the only kind of pants I wear. Everything else seems weird.













This is a drawing of my feet. This is part of my body, so I decided to draw it. I don't have much to say about my feet, but that there there and I am glad I have feet to be able to walk, jump, run, etc.










I think I am best represented as a tree. Quiet on the outside, but childish on the inside. I guess at first appearances, I am just a shy and quiet girl, but I love to talk about things that occurred throughout the day and I'm very jumpy and spirited with people I am close with.















This scary contour line of myself represents the idea of people having a first impression when they meet or see anyone they have never met before. I think a picture of myself shows what people may think of me on the outside, but the impressions may be different than who I really am.














In this artwork, I decided to draw most of the hobbies that I have right now. First, I have yarn at the left hand corner to signify all the crochet and knitting that I love to do (I love to make things and learn new patterns) Next, I have a stuffed animal owl to show that I collect many stuffed animals. (So much that I have no where to put most of them). Then, I have my own collection of books, which I am going to create my own personal library when I grow older. The coin on the books shows the collection of coins, especially pennies that I have. Finally, in the back, I drew a monochromatic chart just to show the different values in the drawing.


This collage is important to me because it is who I am culturally. Although I am Taiwanese, I was born and grew up here in New Jersey. So, I decided to collage my face and hair with Chinese newspaper, and my shirt and the background with English newspaper. Although this piece is the only one that is not in charcoal, I think the small pieces of paper represent each second of my life, which have been piled up to 19 years in NJ. (I sometimes daydream about what my life would be like if I was born in Taiwan--I know that it would definitely be different)









I drew an image of a cat because I think that if reincarnation really does occur, than I was probably a cat in my previous life or some time in the past. This is because I love cats since I was a kindergartner, I love it when people pat me on the head and play with my hair, and...I shed hair (not a lot, but a few).

No comments:

Post a Comment